Patrick D. Newton, P.C. is a North Carolina Professional Corporation established by me, Patrick D. Newton, to provide high quality legal services across a wide range of family estate & business planning matters. My practice includes a strong focus on:
- helping clients with their basic estate planning needs, such as Wills and Powers of Attorney,
- designing sophisticated estate tax planning for high net worth clients, and
- helping family businesses with successful transition strategies.
I live in beautiful Pisgah Forest, NC, just outside of Brevard, NC, but I serve families and businesses anywhere in North Carolina. I travel. Through some strategic relationships, I can access convenient meeting locations throughout North Carolina, and I am also willing to come to your home or office, or even meet virtually via phone or webinar.
In 2009, the North Carolina State Bar certified me as a Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law.
- North Carolina, 2000
- U.S. Tax Court, 2001
- J.D., Wake Forest University School of Law, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, May, 2000
- B.S. Business Administration, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, North Carolina, May, 1997
- Associate in Applied Science in Accounting (with Honors), Cleveland Community College, Shelby, NC, USA, August, 1993
- Confidently Administering the North Carolina Estate: From Start to Finish, National Business Institute, December 2, 2005
- How to be a Successful Successor Trustee – Strauss & Associates, P.A. Client Seminar – Semi-annually 2005 – 2014
Honors and Awards:
- Wake Forest Law Review: Editorial Staff Member and Technology Committee Chair, 1999 – 2000
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- NCBA Estate Planning Section Technology Committee, 2009 – 2010, Committee Member
- Hendersonville Young Professionals, 2009 – Present, Member
- NCBA Law Practice Management Section, 2004 – 2005, Executive Council Member and Newsletter Committee Chair
- NCBA, Tax Section, 2002 – 2005, Executive Council Member
- Moore County Bar Association, 2000 – 2004, Past President
- Sandhills Tax Roundtable, 2002 – 2005, Past Secretary
- First Health Professional Advisory Committee, 2001 – 2005, Council Member
Past Employment Positions:
- Strauss & Associates, P.A., Attorney at Law, 2005 – 2015
- Webb & Graves, PLLC, Attorney at Law, 2000 – 2005
Community & Pro Bono Activities:
- The Friends of Carl Sandburg at Connemara, Board Member, 2009 – 2014
- Pardee Hospital Planned Giving Committee, 2008 – 2010
In 2009, I was certified by the North Carolina State Bar as a Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law. In 2015, my certification was renewed. The North Carolina State Bar certifies lawyers as specialists in designated practice areas as a service to the public. Certification means I have demonstrated special knowledge, skill, and proficiency in Estate Planning and Probate Law. To be certified, a lawyer must be an active member in good standing with the North Carolina State Bar for at least five years, devote a significant part of his or her practice to the specialty area, attend continuing legal education (CLE) seminars in the specialty, be favorably evaluated by other lawyers and/or judges (peer review), and pass a rigorous written examination in the specialty practice area (Exam was not required for Re-Certification).
For more information about the North Carolina Legal Specialization program, please visit www.nclawspecialists.com, or call the State Bar at 919.828.4620.